24 May 2010

Summer Shows

May is a very sad time for a TV connoisseur such as myself, for it marks the end of regular-season programming. However, along with the summer comes a number of gems that I feel are worth getting excited for. Premium cable tends to thrive in the summer, offering a number of smart, clever shows to watch when I'm not sitting by the pool.

United States of Tara now airing Multiple personalities have never been so entertaining. Toni Collette is crazy versatile as she jumps from alter ego to alter ego, and Aiden from SATC plays....well, pretty much the same manly and supportive significant other that he did the last time we saw him on tv.
Nurse Jackie now airing She's a nurse, she has an adulterous affair with her pharmacist to fuel her pill popping....what's not to love?
Party Down now airing I was recently introduced to this show in between seasons 1 and 2, and I was a tad bit shocked that it managed to slip under my radar for even that long (I blame it on the fact that it airs on Starz). If you enjoyed Veronica Mars, you'll love seeing all of your old friends reappear. (If you didn't love Veronica Mars, then please add seasons 1-3 to your Netflix que immediately, because you've really been missing out.) Anyway, Party Down is about a bunch of sarcastic cater waiters. And it is LOL-by-yourself funny.
True Blood June 13 I don't watch this show, because I blatantly avoid anything that is fantasy/aka vampire related. However, I realize I am in the minority (just like I am with this whole Twilight business), so I wanted to be fair and give my readers a heads up. 
Entourage June 27 Vince and the boys were doing a-ok last season (finally, E and Sloane!), which can only mean that there are sure to be big problems in season 7. I just hope Jeremy Piven can stay away from sushi and soy milk during filming...
Mad Men July 25 I adore Betty and was waiting for her to stand up to Don for three whole seasons, but in the finale I was absolutely devastated. If you're behind on this show, please pour yourself a glass of of scotch, light up a cig, and get caught up asap.
Weeds August 16 Weeds started out as such a different show than it's evolved into these days. For a while, I wasn't sure how I felt about the newer, darker weeds. I kept finding myself wishing that Nancy could just walk away from the drug "industry," settle down with a legal job, and be a good mother to her desperately-in-need-of-therapy children. But then....what sort of a show would that be?

And for those times that you feel like watching something a little less stimulating, summer offers a bevy of reality tv treasures: 

Real Housewives of New Jersey now airing My love affair with all things Jersey continues...
Bachelorette May 24 I really, really hate this show. And I will watch every episode. 
Toddlers and Tiaras June 2 I really, really LOVE this show. Bring on the spray tans and flippers!
Work of Art: The Search for the Next Great Artist June 9 A brand new show, like Project Runway for artists. I'm intrigued and will absolutely be tuning in. Finally, a use for my Art History degree!
So You Think You Can Dance June 10 If you fast forward through the Mary Murphy parts, it's actually a pretty good show.
Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami June 13 I'm about thisclose to being over the Kardashians. It's called media saturation, ladies. I blame Kris.
Holly's World June 13 I have to stay true to the original Girls Next Door. I watched Kendra and I'll watch Holly. Is Bridget still on the Travel Channel?
HGTV Design Star June 13 Horray! I feel like this show has been on hiatus for way too long.
Top Chef: DC June 16 I've missed the standard Top Chef format-- Masters just wasn't doing it for me. What does doit for me is Michael Voltaggio from last season. Fingers crossed for a guest judge cameo...
Jersey Shore July 29 Jersey Shore season one was honestly an answer to my prayers. I just hope that the media attention hasn't changed the kids too much. And I hope that tv's greatest couple ever, Sammi Sweetheart and Ronnie, were able to pull things together after the reunion show (which, btw, I am still pissed off at mtv for instigating).

3 comments:

Rae said...

You are hysterical. That's all.
(And I love you for sticking with me in the Vampire strike.)

ShaLyse Walker said...

Ugh! I agree about those kardashians! I almost feel like the show isn't believable anymore---everything seems staged...right?
Oh, and I swore I wasn't going to watch ali as the bachlorette...but alas...it's 745 and I'm waiting for it to start! Blast!

Katherine Fajen said...

Excited about all of it. I will watch Entourage, Mad Men, Weeds, Bachelorette, SYTYCD (heard Mary Murphy is gonnneee!!), Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami (although I feel the exact same way you do) and Jersey Shore (I have a slight feeling that it won't be as good as the first season though...). Who says there is no good TV in the summer??