09 June 2010

Party Like It's 1999

I am a proud member of the MTV generation, and I always look forward to MTV's two big award nights: The MTV Movie Awards and the Video Music Awards. The Movie Awards are typically less scandalous, but they are always full of celebrities and interesting moments to discuss around the water cooler on Monday morning. (That phrase is just a metaphor, right? Does anyone actually have water cooler discussions?)

I'm hesitant to discuss the awards, because for the first time in my entire life, I felt like I didn't "get" MTV. Is this what the kids are really into? If I were a social anthropologist watching a recording of the awards show at some point in the future, I would think that the youth of America in 2010 cared about two things only: f-bombs and Twilight. Not that I'm offended by swearing, but it seemed so forced and ridiculous. It reminded me of Meggan circa middle school, who felt it necessary to swear in front of her friends just to let them know how cool and grown up she was. (Ironically, now I swear so people think I'm young and hip). But all that swearing with a young Jaden Smith was in the audience? Marky Mark should be ashamed.

I'm not even going to discuss Twilight because I know that I'm in the minority for not being obsessed with it. So I'll defer to bff Alan, with whom I discussed this with via gchat:




But honestly....those kids were everywhere-- presenting, winning, being featured in candid crowd shots. All I'm saying is I could have done with a little less Kristen Stewart (could she be more awkward) and a bit more Justin Bieber.

Speaking of featured celebrities--  I feel like MTV was trying to stage a comeback for anyone who was at their peak in the mid to late nineties. Tom Cruise hasn't been cool since Top Gun. He was mildly entertaining when he put on a fat suit and danced to hip hop, but that character was from Tropic Thunder, which came out two years ago. Couldn't we have found something more current? I know J Lo has been trying to come back, but I do believe that her career high point was Waiting for Tonight, which was released in 1999.
Sandra Bullock won the MTV Generation Award, and even though she looked the bomb and we're all Team Sandy these days....she really was at her prime around the Speed (1994)/While You Were Sleeping(1995) era? I mean....I owned both of those on vhs, if that says anything. Yes she won an Oscar this year...but since when has MTV cared about that? And then there was Christina Aguilera. "Xtina," as she is apparently still calling herself. Homegirl is a 30 year old wife and mother these days....way too old to be dancing around with a light up heart on her crotch and the words "woohoo" on the screen (although I'd love to get my hands on a woohoo graphic for my living room). Let's leave these sort of performances to Gaga, shall we?
Sidenote1: Don't google the lyrics to the song Woohoo. 
Sidenote2: Yes I am aware of my double standard. Britney could do the same thing and I'd be cheering her on from the front row. But I also cheered her on during this.

Anyway, apparently the 90s are back.

2 comments:

elise said...

I missed the awards, but feel like I was right there, with your great recap. I could perfectly envision it all. And, I wished I counted how many times I laughed out loud at your commentary. Perfet.

Laura CaƱate said...

Word.