09 June 2010

So They Think They Can Dance

There are a lot of things happening with this show that I really like. Like Mary Murphy's absence. And bringing back a few all-stars as partners. And the chance that it gives me to check in on Wade Robson, who I have been a fan of since his days collaborating with my girl B Spears.

But I have the same beef with SYTYCD that I do with *ahem* other reality competition shows (I promised to never mention that show on my blog. See sidebar bio for details). I hate the "tryouts" portion of these shows. Sure, I'd like to see how all of the finalists got on the show, but I can't stand the bad auditions. I feel like it's just three weeks of the show getting cheap laughs at the expense of these people who have waited for hours just to be able to try out. It's like those awful stand up comedians that can only get laughs when they insult different audience members. I also find it a little ironic that Fox capitalizes off of these people who are a little different, and then goes and champions the slushie-victim oddball on Tuesday nights. So apparently it's only ok to be an outcast if you're really talented.

*steps off soapbox*

Also, can we get some better reality show producers on this show? Don't give me an elaborate backstory on a girl, show her tryout, and then have Nigel say "That was lovely. Are your parents dancers?" "No, my dad is in jail for being in the mob." "Say whaaaaaaaaat?"

That having been said, I really do enjoy this show once it gets to competition time. Which, thankfully, is next week! Set your dvr so you can instant-replay the performances and fast forward through the judges' comments.

2 comments:

na said...

You know my entire set is based on mocking audience members right?

Rondi said...

Thank you for this Meggan. I really struggle with reality tv. But once this show gets going, it has to be one of my favorites. Wade Robson... Mmmmmhmmmm. Remember how Ms. Spears supposedly cheated on Justin with him? Can't say I blame her.